I don't believe this UNSCEAR report result described in the Asahi Shimbun:
Majia here: I don't believe that the collective Fukushima dose for radioiodine will be 1/30th the dose from Chernobyl.
Y. Oiwa (27 May 2013)U.N.: Post-Fukushima collective thyroid dose about 3.3% the dose from Chernobyl’, The Asahi Shimbun, http://ajw.asahi.com/article/0311disaster/fukushima/AJ201305270089The health effects from the Fukushima nuclear accident are substantially smaller than those from the Chernobyl disaster, and the increase in cancer incidence in Japan will be negligible, according to a U.N. panel’s estimates.
The collective thyroid dose of Japanese people from radioactive materials released from the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant will be about one-30th of that of the exposed populations from the 1986 Chernobyl accident, according to a draft report by the U.N. Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation obtained by The Asahi Shimbun. The draft also said the cancer incidence in Japan will rise only marginally and will be difficult to detect. However, the report cautioned that data on released radioactive materials or actual measurements of radioactive iodine are insufficient, and that many uncertain factors remain about dose statistics.[end]
And I don't think Anand Grover does either:
AP (26 May 2013) ‘U.N. expert urges help for Japan's nuclear victims’, The Asahi Shimbun,http://ajw.asahi.com/article/0311disaster/fukushima/AJ201305260047
A United Nations expert who investigated the aftermath of Japan's 2011 nuclear power plant disaster says the government and the operator of the facility should do more to help those affected by the catastrophe.
A report by special rapporteur Anand Grover, posted on the U.N. Human Rights Council's website, says the government's takeover of Tokyo Electric Power Co. allowed the utility to evade full responsibility for the nuclear disaster, the worst since Chernobyl.
Maybe the entire function of this UNSCEAR report is to undermine any concerns raised by Grovers efforts' to bring attention to the medical risks of Fukushima. Read the early released version of Grovers report here.
Read what UNSCEAR has to say in their report here http://www.unscear.org/unscear/en/fukushima.html
Read a measured counter analysis, Late Lessons from Chernobyl, Early Lessons From Fukushima, here.
From my point of view it is patently insane to say that the radioiodine dose for Fukushima was 3.3 percent the dose of Chernobyl. Fukushima had 3 reactor explosions with loss of containment. Chernobyl had one.
Fukushima also had an explosion in unit 4, which may have been in a fuel pool. No one is telling. Reactor 4 also had a spent fuel pool fire that was miraculously put-out, as reported by the IAEA. Then, reactor 4 had at least two more fires, as I've tried to document in this blog through screen shots and monitoring of EPA Radnet readings in cities under the jet stream.
Finally, Chernobyl burned for 10 days. Fukushima has been actively contaminating the ocean and atmosphere since March 2011.
But somehow, despite 4 explosions, fires, and continuous emissions at Fukushima, Chernobyl contaminated people with multiple times as much radioiodine? Wait! The UN doesn't say that, does it, when it adds the big caveat?
I want to see the study to determine what their source terms are for emissions to have come up with such a trivial number. I wonder whether their data are from the Japanese government? You know that government that decontaminates thoroughly the public radiation-monitoring stations and uses detectors with lead batteries?
What about all those thyroid nodules in Fukushima children? Surely they must have been addressed by the UN study? These nodules have been documented medically and scientifically.
I doubt there are studies on nodules in children after Chernobyl. That said, thryroid nodules in healthy childhood populations are relatively rare, particularly among people who eat such a iodine rich diet.
The children of Fukushima are just being written off by the UNSCEAR. I'm outraged.
Watch the documentary film A2, which lets the children of Fukushima and their mothers describe the horrors of living in a radiation contaminated zone. It will premier in Germany in June. There will be a press screening at the Foreign Correspondent's Club of Tokyo: http://ianthomasash.blogspot.jp/2013/04/pressing-issue.html
I don't know what to say, except that I'm very sorry to see the UNSCEAR fall so low when a UN special rapporteur is working so hard to bring attention to the plight of citizens in Japan living in highly contaminated areas.
Read my plea to evacuate the children of Fukushima http://thedailyjournalist.com/theinvestigative/evacuate-the-children-of-fukushima/
- majiasblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/fukushima-children.htmlAug 28, 2012 – Children in Japan are being exposed to levels of radiation that have been proven to increase cancer risks in adults. Moreover, children in ...
- majiasblog.blogspot.com/.../fukushima-contamination-widespread-no.ht...Nov 18, 2012 – blogger Ex-SKF reports #Radioactive Japan: Another Child Suspected of Thyroid Cancer in #Fukushima, Found During the First-Round ...
- majiasblog.blogspot.com/.../petition-protect-children-of-fukushima.htmlAug 16, 2011 – Emergency International Petition to PROTECT THE CHILDREN OF FUKUSHIMA. http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5502/p/dia/action/public/ ...
- majiasblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/protect-fukushima-children.htmlAug 16, 2011 – "What is being done now is this. Professor Fukushima Akiharu of the state-run Japan Bioassay Research Center observes the effects of ...
- majiasblog.blogspot.com/.../children-sick-in-fukushima-radiation-in.htmlJul 28, 2011 – Hat tip Enews http://enenews.com/afp-fukushima-parents-extremely-worried-
childrens-health-babys-illness-radiation-video. Video available ...
- majiasblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/fukushimas-children.htmlJun 28, 2011 – Fukushima's children may be born with anatomical anomalies caused by DNA damage. They may develop cancer and they very may well ...
- majiasblog.blogspot.com/.../worlds-oceans-at-risk-from-fukushima.htmlApr 12, 2013 – Majia here: Radioactive water from Fukushima has contaminated the ocean in an .... Majia's Blog: Fukushima Radiation Plumes in the Ocean Headed to . .... Settlement · Will Japanese Children Suffer from Increased Rates.
- majiasblog.blogspot.com/2013/.../will-japanese-children-suffer-from.htm...Apr 10, 2013 – Will Japanese Children Suffer from Increased Rates of Neural Tube Defects Due to Exposure to Fukushima Fallout? Majia here: This data ...